Our Locations

55 Union Street, Suite 400
Boston, MA 02108

15 Church St, Suite 105
Salem, MA 01970

What Happens if I Get Divorced with a Conditional Green Card?

immigration lawyer attorney green card conditional divorce

If you get divorced with a conditional green card, you may still be able to get a 10-year green card.  However, it makes the case more difficult.

When you are granted a green card based on a marriage less than two years old, you are granted a conditional green card.  This conditional green card is only good for two years.

You must remove the conditions by filing an I-751 within 90 days of the conditional, two-year green card expiring.  The filing fee to remove conditions on your green card is $680 currently.

But what happens if you get divorced before you remove the conditions on your conditional green card?  Fortunately, you can still receive a 10-year green card and remove the conditions on your conditional green card.

You will just have to submit additional evidence that your marriage was actually bona fide.  This can include evidence that you and your spouse resided together, commingled finances, and paid bills together.  You might also want to submit affidavits from people familiar with your relationship.

If your spouse is not cooperating, you must file a waiver of the joint filing requirement.  To be successful, you have to show that your marriage was entered into in good faith.

If you have a conditional green card and get divorced, you can still remove the conditions and receive a 10-year green card.  An immigration attorney can help you submit the correct forms and receive your green card.  Contact me today at (617) 295-7500, and I’d be glad to help!


Although I am an attorney, I am not your attorney.  Please do not rely on anything on this page as legal advice because any specific advice would depend on your situation.  Any results posted on this page are not guarantees of outcomes in your case.

Boston Attorney

The court system is stressful, whether you’re being charged with a crime, being sued, suing someone, or fighting for your ability to stay and work in this country. You need someone who appreciates this and can dedicate the time not only to represent you effectively in court but to guide you through the process.

Recent Articles

Contact us