Our Locations

55 Union Street, Suite 400
Boston, MA 02108

15 Church St, Suite 105
Salem, MA 01970

How Do I Get a Gun License in Massachusetts?

gun license in Massachusetts

To get a gun license in Massachusetts, you must apply with your local police station.  If you need help applying for a gun license, I’d be glad to help.  Call or text me at (617) 295-7500.

There are two different types of gun licenses in Massachusetts. A Firearm Identification Card (FID) (otherwise known as a Class B license) allows you to carry (non-large capacity) shotguns and rifles. A License to Carry (LTC) (otherwise known as a Class A license) permits you to carry large capacity handguns, rifles, and shotguns, and allows you to carry a concealed handgun.

A firearms license is required to purchase all types of ammunition in Massachusetts.

What Can Prevent Me from Getting a Gun License in Massachusetts?

You cannot obtain a firearms license if you:

  • Under 21 for a LTC (you may receive an FID if you’re over 18, but you can receive one if you’re over 15 with parental consent)
  • Have been convicted of a felony
  • Convicted of misdemeanor punishable by up to two years
  • Have been convicted of a violent offense
  • Were convicted of any offense involving illegal possession of a gun or ammunition
  • Have been convicted of a controlled substance offense
  • Were convicted of a domestic violence offense
  • Have been institutionalized (“sectioned”) in a substance abuse or alcohol abuse institution or a mental health institution, although there are some exceptions
  • Not a citizen or Lawful Permanent Resident (Green Card Holder)
  • Have an arrest warrant pending in any jurisdiction
  • Have been dishonorably discharged from the military
  • Have a 209A restraining order against you

“Convicted” includes youthful offender and juvenile adjudications.  A CWOF, however, does not count as a conviction.  Sealed and out of state convictions count for this.

What is the Process?

You apply at your local police station to get a gun license in Massachusetts.  You need the following documents:

It’s critical to answer all questions on the application truthfully.  The exact process depends on your local police department policies, and you should contact them.

Generally, an officer will interview you to determine whether you’re suitable for a gun license.  This hinges on whether you possessing a gun will endanger public safety.  The officer can consider almost anything to determine your suitability – including non-convictions on your criminal record, restraining orders issued against you, your driving history, history of negligent use of a gun, and even police calls to your home.

The police department has 40 days to make a decision on your case.

If you are denied a gun license, you may be able to appeal.  Find out more here.

What Happens if I’m Approved for a Gun License?

If you are approved by the local police department, your application is sent to the firearms bureau, where another background check is done.  If it is clear, your license will be sent to the local police department.  Your LTC is valid for five years from your next birthday, and an FID card is valid for six years.


Please contact a Massachusetts firearms attorney if you have any questions about getting a gun license in Massachusetts. Contact me, and I’d be glad to help!  I can help handle your application for a gun license or appeal if you are denied.

My office is located in Boston, Massachusetts, but I handle criminal cases, including firearms offenses and issues with firearms licenses, in all Massachusetts courts. Contact me at (617) 295-7500 – by call or text.


Although I am an attorney, I am not your attorney.  Please do not rely on anything on this page as legal advice because any specific advice would depend on your situation.  Any results posted on this page are not guarantees of outcomes in your case.

Boston Attorney

The court system is stressful, whether you’re being charged with a crime, being sued, suing someone, or fighting for your ability to stay and work in this country. You need someone who appreciates this and can dedicate the time not only to represent you effectively in court but to guide you through the process.

Recent Articles

Contact us