Our Locations

55 Union Street, Suite 400
Boston, MA 02108

15 Church St, Suite 105
Salem, MA 01970

What Happens if I Make a Mistake in My Green Card Application?

mistake in green card application

A green card application is an official US government document with very specific requirements.  If you make a mistake in your green card application, you could face serious consequences.  This could include denial of your application, loss of your filing fee, or even removal proceedings.

It’s critical to hire an experienced immigration attorney to help when you apply for a green card.  Otherwise, a simple mistake can end up having dire consequences.

I often get calls from people who applied for a green card on their own, and they made a mistake.  The USCIS denied their application, and ended up keeping their filing fee.  They ask me what I can do to help them.

What Could Happen if I Make a Mistake in My Green Card Application?

Some mistakes on green card applications mean the USCIS denies your application and gets to keep your filing fee.  It’s difficult to get back your filing fee and to correctly complete your application.  Often, we have to end up resubmitting everything, including the filing fee.

This is why it’s best to do it right the first time, with an immigration attorney who has been through this before.

Other times, if you fill out your paperwork incorrectly, this could mean you could lose your immigration status and be placed in removal proceedings.  This is because your green card application alerts USCIS to your lack of status, and because it’s filled out incorrectly, you will not be able to get status except through immigration court.

Additionally, mistakes in your green card application could mean disruptions in your ability to work.

Should I Hire An Attorney for My Green Card Application?

Saving money by not hiring an immigration attorney could end up costing you.  You could face lost money, employment, or even deportation.  The smart decision is to hire an immigration attorney to do your green card application correctly the first time.

Call me today at (617) 295-7500, and let me help you.



Although I am an attorney, I am not your attorney.  Please do not rely on anything on this page as legal advice because any specific advice would depend on your situation.  Any results posted on this page are not guarantees of outcomes in your case.

Boston Attorney

The court system is stressful, whether you’re being charged with a crime, being sued, suing someone, or fighting for your ability to stay and work in this country. You need someone who appreciates this and can dedicate the time not only to represent you effectively in court but to guide you through the process.

Recent Articles

Contact us