Our Locations

55 Union Street, Suite 400
Boston, MA 02108

15 Church St, Suite 105
Salem, MA 01970

Can I Work While My Green Card Petition is Pending?

test alt text

If you have filed an application for adjustment of status, you may apply for an Employment Authorization Document (EAD) while the green card application is pending. This is done with a Form I-765. It requires no additional fee when filed along with an application to adjust status.

When you apply for an employment authorization card, you can also choose to apply for a social security number and card. However, your social security information generally comes later.

There are other circumstances where you may apply for an employment authorization document, but you should consult with an immigration attorney if you think you may qualify.

How Long Does It Take for an Application for an Employment Authorization Document to be Processed?

Generally, you should receive your employment authorization document prior to your green card. However, the processing time for the I-765 has increased significantly.

It usually takes around 8-10 months for your application for an employment authorization card to be processed. Depending on how you filed it, your EAD should arrive at your immigration attorney’s office.

Not consulting with an immigration lawyer can often be costly – it can mean you could face longer waiting times, requests for evidence, and possibly a denial of your claim. Please contact me today if you need help with your immigration application or anything else. I’d be glad to help!

My office is located in Boston, Massachusetts, but I practice immigration law all over Massachusetts. Call me today at (617) 295-7500, and let’s get started on your immigration petition today!


Although I am an attorney, I am not your attorney.  Please do not rely on anything on this page as legal advice because any specific advice would depend on your situation.  Any results posted on this page are not guarantees of outcomes in your case.

Boston Attorney

The court system is stressful, whether you’re being charged with a crime, being sued, suing someone, or fighting for your ability to stay and work in this country. You need someone who appreciates this and can dedicate the time not only to represent you effectively in court but to guide you through the process.

Recent Articles

Contact us