Our Locations

55 Union Street, Suite 400
Boston, MA 02108

15 Church St, Suite 105
Salem, MA 01970

What is an Adjustment of Status Interview?

.adjustment of status interview

The final step in adjustment of status is the interview.  If you are married to a US citizen, you could be eligible for adjustment of status – receiving a green card without leaving the country.

Where is the Adjustment of Status Interview Held?

The adjustment of status interview is conducted at the USCIS office closest to your home address on your immigration paperwork.  In Boston, these interviews are held at the JFK Federal Building in Government Center.  The hearing officer will conduct the interview in a special interview room that looks like an office.

How Long Does it Take to Schedule the Interview?

Generally, it can take anywhere from nine months to a year from submitting your paperwork to receiving an interview.  This depends on how busy your local USCIS office is, how complicated your application was, and whether there were any requests for evidence.

What is the Process During the Interview?

During an adjustment of status interview, the officer is looking to determine whether you have a bona fide marriage.  Typically, you and your spouse are separated and asked similar questions concerning your background, relationship, and current life, similar to the Newlywed Game.

Do I Need an Immigration Attorney for my Adjustment of Status Interview?

Your immigration attorney is allowed to be present during the interview.  This is mainly to help in case the hearing officer goes out of line.  An immigration attorney can also provide paperwork for you.

What Happens if We Fail the Interview?

If the hearing officer determines your marriage is not bona fide, that’s not the end of the story.  You will typically receive an intent to deny. After that, you can explain the issues at the hearing, and provide additional evidence.  This would be too late to hire an attorney, though.


If you are looking to file an adjustment of status, you should hire an experienced immigration attorney to help.  If you are facing down an adjustment of status interview, request for evidence, or intent to deny, it’s too late to hire an attorney.  An immigration attorney can help prepare your paperwork to help ensure the process is as smooth as possible.

Call or text me today at (617) 295-7500 to get started on your adjustment of status petition.


Although I am an attorney, I am not your attorney.  Please do not rely on anything on this page as legal advice because any specific advice would depend on your situation.  Any results posted on this page are not guarantees of outcomes in your case.

Boston Attorney

The court system is stressful, whether you’re being charged with a crime, being sued, suing someone, or fighting for your ability to stay and work in this country. You need someone who appreciates this and can dedicate the time not only to represent you effectively in court but to guide you through the process.

Recent Articles

Contact us