Our Locations

55 Union Street, Suite 400
Boston, MA 02108

15 Church St, Suite 105
Salem, MA 01970

What is an Immediate Relative for Immigration?

immediate relative immigration lawyer

To apply for adjustment of status, you generally must be an immediate relative of a U.S. citizen.  Being an immediate relative qualifies you for a number of immigration benefits.

To be an immediate relative, you must be:

  • Married to a U.S citizen;
  • A parent of a U.S. citizen who is 21 or older;
  • An unmarried child of a U.S. citizen, if you are 21 or under.

Adopted children may also qualify as a child.  However, this requires additional documentation.

If you qualify, you can be eligible to adjust your status.  This means you can receive a green card without ever leaving the United States.

How Can I Get a Green Card if I’m an Immediate Relative?

If you do not have a criminal record and entered the country legally, you may be eligible for adjustment of status.  I handle adjustment of status applications via an electronic application process.  I gather information through an electronic questionnaire and send you a list of documents I will need to process the application.  After I receive the documents, we can generally get the paperwork signed and submitted within a week.

After we submit the application, USCIS processes the application and requests additional evidence if necessary.  I help my clients throughout the process from submitting the application through the interview.


If you are an immediate relative of a U.S. citizen, you could be eligible for immigration benefits including adjustment of status.  You need an immigration attorney you can trust.  Call or text me at 617-295-7500, and let’s get started!


Although I am an attorney, I am not your attorney.  Please do not rely on anything on this page as legal advice because any specific advice would depend on your situation.  Any results posted on this page are not guarantees of outcomes in your case.

Boston Attorney

The court system is stressful, whether you’re being charged with a crime, being sued, suing someone, or fighting for your ability to stay and work in this country. You need someone who appreciates this and can dedicate the time not only to represent you effectively in court but to guide you through the process.

Recent Articles

Contact us