If you’ve been charged with a crime, you need to hire an experienced criminal defense attorney as soon as possible, even before the arraignment. An arraignment will be your first court appearance, and is when the charges against you will be read. This is also when you will be asked how you are going to plead to those charges. The criminal justice system can be intimidating, but hiring a skilled defense attorney that you can trust may be your first step to easing some of your stress.
Why Should I Hire a Criminal Defense Attorney?
- Having someone who knows the law on your side is key
- Criminal laws, and the criminal justice system are complicated and can be intimidating.
- A criminal defense attorney will help ensure that your rights are not neglected.
- I know the ins and outs of the legal system, and will be able to protect your rights each step of the way.
- You should know all your options
- Having an experienced legal professional on your side, will allow you to talk things over.
- I can lay out all your options for you, so you can make an informed decision in trying to obtain the best possible outcome at the end of your case.
- To ensure that evidence for your case is preserved
- If you don’t hire a lawyer as soon as possible, evidence that could be used to help you in your case could be lost.
- For example, security camera videos are typically lost within a few days. So, if you do not act as quickly as possible to access these videos, they will be lost and unable to be recovered. In other words, you could lose potentially important evidence to your case if you do not act fast enough once you’ve been arrested.
Without an attorney, your defense could be impaired, your rights could be waived, and you could remain in jail unnecessarily. This is why you should hire a criminal defense attorney as soon as possible if you’re arrested.
What Kinds of Criminal Cases can the Law Office of Matthew Peterson Help me With?
I take on many different types of criminal defense cases. Below are just some of the criminal defense cases I handle; a full list of all criminal defense cases I take can be found on my website:
- Domestic Violence
- Operating Under the Influence (OUI/DUI)
- Assault and Battery
- Drug Crimes
- Criminal Appeals
We also take on Clerk’s Hearings, and is a great way to avoid the criminal process altogether. Having a lawyer with you at a Clerk’s Hearing can help you avoid the charges completely and protect your record.
If you’ve been arrested, call or text me as soon as possible to set up an appointment to speak with me. I have office locations in Boston and Salem, Massachusetts, and can do consultations over the phone or via Zoom as well. If you’re looking for a criminal defense lawyer who will fight for you, call or text me now to set up a consultation at (617) 295-7500.